He really made me want to pick up the violin again. I wonder if there is Andrew Bird sheet music that I could buy? That might encourage me to play and practice. Anyway, he played a few of my favorites, including "Scythian Empire," which was so epic because he brought out the opening act to play a slew of different instruments, i.e. flute, saxophone, drums, violin. And the leading vocals of the opening act, Annie Clark, was phenomenal. Her voice was so angelic and perfect..especially when she and Andrew Bird harmonized "Oh, Sister" at the end of the show. I didn't know that Annie Clark was part of the Polyphonic Spree, but it all makes sense now. She has a naturally beautiful voice that I certainly did not expect from her at first glance. She's also a little quirky...and by a little I mean REALLY quirky. So is Andrew Bird, but I expected that because the content of his music usually deviates from the norm, i.e. "Dark Matter," "Effigy," and "Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left."
Before I start the picture montage, I'll preface them by saying that Andrew Bird also had a couple of these what-ya-ma-call-its to make his sound bigger and better...I'm talking about the big gold thing he's holding in his arms:

He had two on each side of center stage and then two in the middle that spun. Ridiculous! What are they called? Someone find out for me.

Lovely Annie Clark, of St. Vincent:

And before I go, I'll leave you with two songs, one that was performed acoustically by Andrew Bird and Annie Clark last night (although, this version is with some other chick -- but you can imagine) & the second song is a St.Vincent (Annie Clark's band) original called "Marry Me," which was also performed last night by Annie and Andrew, with Annie's vocals and guitar, and Andrew's violin. But, again, this version is just Annie. Enjoy.
XOXO,
PennyLane

No comments:
Post a Comment