Monday, October 5, 2009

Yeah, you can syndicate any boat you row

I haven't had any fashion inspiration lately but I've been listening to some seriously good jams. So here goes:

I always liked the Beatles. As a little girl I found myself humming the tune of "Hey Jude" and hoping my dad's car radio would play it on short road trips around Bayside, New York...I also enjoyed "The Weight" by The Band, and was convinced the lyrics were "take a load off Fanny" (about two years ago, I realized that those were not actually the lyrics). Anyway, for some reason I've been listening to the Beatles discography a lot. They were just so damn revolutionary and innovative. Every album is so unique to the time is was recorded, but all of them are equally as good, in my opinion. Look at the differences between "Please, Please Me," "Let It Be," and "Revolver."

I've never heard anyone in all 21 years of my life say, "I don't like the Beatles." But part of me is a little sad knowing that music this good may seem so ancient when I'm an adult (i.e. a real person in the real world -- college is hardly considered reality). Another part of me, however, knows that they won't go out of style. Video games like Rock Band will continue to wreck Beatles tracks...but might also encourage new generations to listen to the real stuff. And as a fan who wants the world to hear the beauty that I hear, I guess that's all I could ask for. Whatever and ever amen.

This post is appropriately dedicated to my love for good music. Music that was good 40 years ago, music that's still good today, and music that will be good forever. It's comforting to know that when shit goes sour, some things -- like good music -- don't have an expiration date.






Old meets new: Proof that the Beatles' influence on pop culture is still going strong...also a little comedic relief for "Abbey Road"/LOL cat enthusiasts like myself

XOXO,
PennyLane

p.s. my pseudonym is Penny Lane for several reasons...but remains a secret as to why ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment