
Every now and then I have this silly urge to walk aimlessly around the village for cheap drinks or to search for the best cupcake in the city (Crumb's Red Velvet is, in fact, superior to Magnolia's version). Nothing beats New York in the summer. Sweat will be dripping from my face, and yet, I'll still appreciate a good 30 block walk from midtown to the Museum of Natural History (granted, if I have the right shoes on).
I frequently have vivid day dreams of living on the upper west side. I want to live in one of those beautiful side-street apartments where summer trees adorn the sidewalks in rows. I want to know about all the outrageous deals at the corner deli (like .50 cent sliders/ three dollar beers at Lanksy's deli on Columbus and 71st). I want to be part of a community without feeling sheltered. And most importantly, I want to maintain the possibility of an affair with my doorman. Because what would a city be without mischief and poor choices?
I've been to a lot of cities in my short life. As much as I've loved them all for their quaint cobble-stoned streets, spectacular nightlife, or aesthetically magnificent architecture, New York is my home. And if, for some reason, my life directs me to another place...my city will wait for my return as much as I'll be waiting to return.
It's always been a love-hate relationship...but, for me, that's usually the best kind of romance.
XOXO,
PennyLane

so well stated. new yorkk. you made me want cupcakes :( (and cheap drinks, thrift stores... door men.) sigh
ReplyDeleteI feel like the last time we hung out, I pretty much got you to every single one of those things you like doing. If only I had a doorman for you to sleep with...
ReplyDeleteA shitty brother I am indeed.
Incidentally I think the Lansky's thing only applies during the summer. How shitty is that?
yeah obvs, because who's gonna go to Lanski's in 30 degree weather for sliders? People get take out from city diner...duh
ReplyDeletealso, not once did we go searching for cupcakes. nice try.